Zoo Naturalists combine their knowledge about animals and ecology with the use of animal artifacts, exhibits and live animals to engage zoo visitors in a wildlife learning experience.
ZOO NATURALIST* - Volunteers will be working with the public in a variety of ways, and will rotate through five areas as needed. Minimum 4 hours per week, March – October (With an option to run until late November). The five areas are:
Butterfly Exhibit – Monitor entrance and exit through this walk through exhibit as well as providing light exhibit maintenance and visitor education.
Education Stations – Engage zoo visitors with the use of animal artifacts, exhibits and live animals.
Zoo Farm – Educate visitors while assisting with animal feeding and general upkeep of the station.
Giraffe Feeding Station – Assist keeper with daily feedings by answering visitor questions, collecting money and visitor line management.
Wallaby Walkabout Exhibit - Monitor walk through of the wallaby exhibit and teach visitors about wallabies, habitat and conservation.
*Optional – Lead and assist with tours for zoo visitors and school groups.
2013 Training Sessions:
March 9th and 10th
April 27th and 28th
- Must be over 18 years old
- Must commit to a minimum of 4 hours per week, March-October
- Shift times are 9am-1:00pm or 1:00pm – 5:00pm; Monday through Sunday
- Participate in a 20 hour volunteer orientation
- Successfully complete an introductory period of 24 hours
- Pay a $35.00 training fee for manual and uniform shirt
- Submit an application and accept offered position after an interview
- Abide by all policies in the Volunteer Handbook
- Enjoy working with people of all ages
- Desire to further develop customer service, public speaking, and teaching skills (training provided)
- Interested in educating public about wildlife conservation
- Must submit a negative TB test at own expense annually
- Submit to a Federal background check
Click here for application
Return to main volunteer page
- Friends of Zoo Boise Annual Pass – volunteers are eligible after a 24-hour introductory period
- Unlimited admission to Zoo Boise for extent of active volunteer service
- Reduced rates on Family and Grandparent passes
- Free or reduced admission to many other participating zoos
- Subscription to Animal Tales newsletter and a subscription to our biweekly e-newsletter
- Exclusive entrance to signature events: Easter EGGstravaganza, Zoo Daze & Boo at the Zoo
- Discounts on education programs and gift shop or food café purchases
- Zoo Boise day passes - Volunteers can receive one day pass for every 15 volunteer hours completed