Animal Care Volunteers
Animals are the reason visitors attend Zoo Boise. Animal Care volunteers assist the Animal Care staff in creating a comfortable home for the animals and beautiful exhibits for visitors to see. Positions are often available in the following sections: Primates and Penguins, Small Animal Kingdom, Birds and Binturong, Small Carnivores, and Hoofstock. Due to the danger involved, volunteers do not work in enclosures of large carnivores or inside primate enclosures.
- Exhibit maintenance (including removing feces and bedding from exhibits and cleaning exhibit glass)
- Diet preparation and feeding of some animals
- Animal observations
- Preparing animal enrichments
- Opportunity to cross-train on other sections after one year of service
- Must be over 18 years old
- Must commit to one shift per week for one year
- Shift times are 8:00am – 12:00pm and 1:00pm – 5:00pm; Monday through Sunday
- Participate in a volunteer orientation
- Successfully complete an introductory period of 24 hours
- Pay a $35.00 training fee for manual and uniform shirt
- Submit an application and accept offered position after an interview
- Abide by all policies in the Volunteer Handbook
- Great customer service and ability to work well with visitors
- Good physical condition and able to lift 50 lbs.
- Willing to get dirty!
- Must submit a negative TB test at own expense
- Submit to a Federal background check
- Friends of Zoo Boise Annual Pass Holder – volunteers are eligible after a 24-hour introductory period
- Unlimited admission to Zoo Boise for extent of active volunteer service
- Reduced rates on Family and Grandparent passes
- Free or reduced admission to other participating zoos
- Subscription to Animal Tales newsletter and a subscription to our biweekly e-newsletter
- Exclusive entrance to signature events: Easter EGGstravaganza, Zoo Daze & Boo at the Zoo
- Discounts on education programs and purchases in the Zootique gift shop
- Zoo Boise day passes - Volunteers can receive one pass for every 15 volunteer hours complete.
Please click here for volunteer application
2014 training sessions TBA
Return to main volunteer page