Current Job Openings
Education Assistant (Closes February 15, 2013)
Position Overview: The Education Assistant participates with the Friends of Zoo Boise Education Department team in providing approximately 350,000 zoo visitors with engaging and meaningful educational experiences regarding animals & their habitats. Education Assistant will provide training, guidance, and management for ZooTeen & Zoo Naturalist visitor education volunteers as well as develop and conduct programs for zoo visitors of all ages.
Reports to: Education Director
Schedule: Part time, Sunday through Thursday, some evenings and Fridays/Saturdays and some holidays as needed. 20 hrs/week Mid-Sept through mid-May and 35 hrs/week mid-May-Mid September.
- Assist with management of volunteer program, volunteer orientation & training.
- Develop and conduct educational programs for families with young children, and information visitor experience programs.
- Schedule, develop and conduct on- and off-site programs for school groups.
- Work at Zoo Boise fund-raising special events.
- Assist with the orientation, training, management, evaluation and supervision of Zoo Naturalist and ZooTeen volunteers.
- Managing volunteer schedules and daily visitor experience schedule (Butterflies in Bloom, Wallaby Walkabout, Conservation Cruise, animal encounters, Giraffe Encounter, Bear Encounter, biology & ecology themed demonstrations).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in education, biological sciences or a related field.
- Experience planning and conducting environmental education programs to young children, teens and adults.
- Basic knowledge of developmental learning theories
- Ability to work in a variety of outdoor weather conditions.
- Able to traverse the zoo property and be on one’s feet for a long period of time.
- Animal-handling experience or be willing to be trained to handle and teach about many types of animals, including mammals, birds, reptiles (including snakes), and invertebrates, both aquatic and terrestrial.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Valid Driver’s License, good driving record and reliable transportation.
- U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
- Submit to a criminal history background check.
- Submit to a negative TB test which must be negative.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word Office
- Experience managing volunteers.
- An independent, self-motivated, creative and resourceful individual who enjoys working with diverse groups of people of all ages, abilities and learning styles.
- Able to work in a fast-paced and noisy environment and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Holds a positive, cheerful, professional and customer-service oriented attitude.
- Communicate and interact in a positive, professional, and team oriented manner with various populations such as: colleagues, volunteers, students, general public and organizational partners.
- A commitment to the conservation goals of Zoo Boise.
To apply, send cover letter, resumé and references by February 15, 2013 to:
Rena Ashton, Education Director
Friends of Zoo Boise
355 Julia Davis Drive
Boise, ID 83702 or email.
No phone calls please.